- 1 Prefix/Termux
- 2 Prefix/Cygwin
- 3 Tyrian
- 4 Bound to fail
- 5 Building stages with clang
- 6 Graphics stack debugging
- 7 Wireless
- 8 Add information on enabling FreeSync on AMDGPU
- 9 Resolve PPC bootloader installation instructions
- 10 Add networking setup example to the Handbooks using ip command
- 11 Finish new Gentoo wallpapers
- 12 Terminology update: Overlay -> ebuild repository
- 13 Add new recentchanges bot to #gentoo-wiki
- 14 Close all open discussions in the Handbook namespace
- 15 In Unix, what do some obscurely named commands stand for?
- 16 Someone please work on these. Someone. ANYONE?! PLEASE!!
Packages required to be installed in Cygwin for Gentoo Prefix to run:
wget gcc-core make
- New Tyrian based on bootstrap V4 should be tested...
- Devmanual should be added to the sites drop down menu...
Bound to fail
Using too high a MAKEOPS value and
--jobs set to
4 (or some other N), this is a bad idea, even if you do have an 8 core Ryzen system with 32 GiBs of memory. In the example below the following default values are set in make.conf:
MAKEOPTS="-j14" EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--jobs=4 --keep-going=y"
emerge --update --deep --newuse --changed-deps=y --with-bdeps=y --verbose --keep-going=y --tree --backtrack=2000 --verbose-conflicts @world
>>> Emerging (1 of 205) www-client/firefox-72.0.2::gentoo >>> Emerging (2 of 205) mail-client/thunderbird-68.4.2::gentoo >>> Emerging (3 of 205) www-client/chromium-80.0.3987.87::gentoo >>> Emerging (4 of 205) app-office/libreoffice-188.8.131.52::gentoo
The previous example is bound to result in job failure output similar to the following:
>>> Emerging (3 of 205) www-client/chromium-80.0.3987.87::gentoo >>> Jobs: 0 of 205 complete, 4 running Load avg: 21.0, 29.6, 38.7Exception in callback PipeLogger._output_handler(13) handle: <Handle PipeLogger._output_handler(13)> Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib64/python3.6/asyncio/events.py", line 145, in _run self._callback(*self._args) File "/usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/portage/util/_async/PipeLogger.py", line 124, in _output_handler log_file.flush() OSError: [Errno 28] No space left on device --Return-- > /usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages/portage/util/_eventloop/asyncio_event_loop.py(81)_internal_caller_exception_handler()->None -> pdb.set_trace() (Pdb)
Why does this happen?
The fastest solution
Run CTRL+c to close the Python interpreter, then do whatever is appropriate to obtain more disk space. Typically this can look like running eclean and purging any failed compilations from Portage's tmp directory:
eclean -d distfiles
eclean -d distfiles
rm -rfv /var/tmp/portage/*
Finally, resuming the emerge with a smaller MAKEOPTS or jobs value (or both!) should work around the build failure:
MAKEOPTS="-j8" emerge --resume --jobs=1
Building stages with clang
Reddit discussion here.
This Debian sites keeps a nice list of packages that are successfully built with LLVM/Clang.
Graphics stack debugging
- Write an in-depth article on debugging a present day graphics stack on Linux. Cover areas such as:
- Screen tearing tests.
- Debugging variables.
- Hardware acceleration vs. software acceleration.
Testing apps on Wayland with Weston
Switch to another vt (use chvt), and issue:
Then try to open the application on Weston.
Be more clear about necessary binary blob firmware for various Wi-Fi chipsets (especially the Intel iwlwifi variants).
Explain how to access Cisco (and other) captive portals.
Add information on enabling FreeSync on AMDGPU
Resolve PPC bootloader installation instructions
Handbook probably needs to be migrated from yaboot to GRUB2. See discussion on Handbook_Talk:PPC/Installation/Bootloader.
Add networking setup example to the Handbooks using ip command
Transision the Handbook to use the ip command with CIDR format rather than ifconfig.
Finish new Gentoo wallpapers
- Add new wallpapers to www.g.o.
- Work on getting a resize script for common supported display resolutions.
- Consider mobile device resolutions.
- Upload wallpapers sources (with attribution) to Gentoo's GitHub and gitweb.g.o.
- Finish imagemagick resize script for end user reproducability.
- See this tutorial for possible options.
- Pseudo-code from Robin:
$SRC -> parallel(for each $RESOLUTIONS: resample, render signet at $POS; save)
Terminology update: Overlay -> ebuild repository
Figure out how to address the following articles (man pages will also need updated):
- PORTDIR_OVERLAY variable.
- layman-overlay-maker command.
Add new recentchanges bot to #gentoo-wiki
Code for a similar recentchanges output:
$wiki $encoded_wiki_page $action $fullurl - User: $username - Summary: $summary
Waiting on a response to issue 62 to add a new wiki to the bot's @recentchanges command.
- Link from cronolio: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgRCFeeds#Example
- Setting up ircII with recentchanges: https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRCD#How_to_do_it_on_your_own_server
TODO: write a module to watch recent changes for sopel.
Close all open discussions in the Handbook namespace
As I continue to clean up our docs in 2017, I am rapidly working to close out all open discussions in the Handbook namespace. Will move this section to Completed tasks when finished.
In Unix, what do some obscurely named commands stand for?
Link this somewhere: https://kb.iu.edu/d/abnd
Someone please work on these. Someone. ANYONE?! PLEASE!!
- GitLab - Clean up article: meld it into proper article layout/formatting according to wiki Guidelines, review for correctness.
- Work on bringing GitLab to Gentoo. This would be of use to infra as a GitHub fall back (since GitHub isn't nicely open source).
- Start with a Gentoo-based container (if necessary), and build from there.