Welcome to the Gentoo Wiki!
Larry the cow welcomes you to the Gentoo Wiki.
To find information use the search box on the top right corner of the screen, or categorically browse the wiki using the Documentation topic links provided below.
Both official Gentoo project documentation as well as community-contributed content can be found here. The vast majority of documentation is publicly editable. Official documents have a Handbook: or Project: prefix (only developers can edit them). Community members can leave comments/feedback for these pages via their respective Discussion pages.
Find something you would like to add or edit? The Getting started section (below) gives contributors a few pointers on how to start editing articles.
Most importantly, the Gentoo Handbook is among the best documents found on the wiki:
April 20, 2017: Article descriptions and the 'See also' template
Your wiki admins have been experimenting by setting a Article description property in the body of some articles. The goal is to expose more data points and obtain an increasing amount of modularity across the site. Ultimately wiki contributors will eventually write less (and deduplicate) content by using templates to grep for data from other articles (such as the See also template). Properties come with Semantic MediaWiki, an extension to MediaWiki, and can be confusing, so be sure to read up them before getting too carried away.
As part of our effort to continually improve the wiki, we'd like to encourage the use of HTTPS for external links wherever possible. This is especially important for an article's homepage InfoBox link since it is prominently placed at the top of articles (and more likely to be clicked). Please verify the link supports HTTPS before substituting. Happy improvements!
Anyone is welcome to edit or create pages on this wiki.
If you think there is something we can improve, please let us know on the Feedback page.
Please note: If you need general Gentoo support, please get in touch with our support community instead.
Recently added pages
- 04:04, 29 April 2017 Jwm (hist) [1,472 bytes] Maffblaster (Initial creation of the jwm article. Show it some love by improving it!)
- 04:00, 27 April 2017 Community Project:Project Listing (hist) [312 bytes] Maffblaster (Initial "Community Project:Project Listing" page.)
- 00:23, 27 April 2017 Hardened/Hardened Kernel Project (hist) [7,734 bytes] Nmatt (Created page with "'''placeholder for the Hardened Kernel Dev project''' The Hardened Kernel Dev project is seeking to merge grsecurity/pax features into the upstream kernel. Project Goals: *...") originally created as "Hardened/HardenedKernelDev"
- 06:45, 21 April 2017 Btrfs/it (hist) [15,928 bytes] Maxxx (Created page with "Btrfs")
- 19:19, 20 April 2017 Gentoo BSD (hist) [373 bytes] Maffblaster (Move content from Project:BSD. Project is dead. Releasing work to the community.)