Welcome to the Gentoo wiki!
Larry the cow welcomes you to the Gentoo wiki.
To find information use the search box on the top right corner of the screen, or categorically browse the wiki using the Documentation topic links provided below.
Both official Gentoo project documentation as well as community-contributed content can be found here. The vast majority of documentation is publicly editable. Official documents have a Handbook: or Project: prefix (only developers can edit them). Community members can leave comments/feedback for these pages via their respective Discussion pages.
Find something to add or edit? The Getting started section (below) gives contributors a few pointers on how to start editing articles.
Most importantly, the Gentoo Handbook is among the best documents found on the wiki:
Mailing list aliases and links to our public mailing list archives are now available on the wiki hosted Project boxes for Gentoo projects. Gentoo project leads should now update their projects with mailing list information. Project mailing list alias must match the official alias found in LDAP on Gentoo infrastructure. Visit #gentoo-wiki with any questions.
July 28, 2017: Word crimes
This is a public service announcement to remind our loving community to be on the alert for word crimes. We hate to see words abused in terrible ways in our documentation, but YOU CAN HELP. YOU CAN STOP THIS ABUSE! If you see a word crime be sure to make things right. Simply perform the following steps: 1) Login 2) Click edit 3) Stop the crime from happening 4) Click 'Save page'. Stay vigilant and have a great summer!
July 14, 2017: Thank you!
A special thank you to all our wonderful contributors and translators who improve the state of our documentation and make important parts of our documents (especially the Handbook) available in non-English. Thank you all for your behind the scenes efforts! For visibility, the article blueprints (useful for creating new articles) can now be found below. Happy editing!
Anyone is welcome to edit or create pages on this wiki.
If there is something we can improve please let us know on the Feedback page.
Please note: For general Gentoo support, please get in touch with our support community instead. General support is not provided via the wiki.
Recently added pages
- 12:26, 16 February 2018 Ebuild repository/de (hist) [7,352 bytes] Surst (Created page with "Ebuild-Repositorien")
- 13:47, 15 February 2018 PHP/Upgrading to PHP 7.1 (hist) [1,992 bytes] Grknight (Create update page for PHP 7.1 with additional info on a compatibility tool)
- 22:50, 13 February 2018 Google Summer of Code/2018/Ideas/Improve OpenPGP support for bugzilla (hist) [1,679 bytes] Bircoph (port from 2017 with updates)
- 05:44, 13 February 2018 Google Summer of Code/2018/Contacts (hist) [1,604 bytes] Aliceinwire (Created page with "=== Mentors list === If you wish to mentor Gentoo GSoC projects add yourself here. Please add the projects you would like to mentor and your contact person/address. Someone f...") originally created as "Google Summer of Code/2018/Mentors"
- 18:29, 12 February 2018 Willikins (hist) [2,482 bytes] Jstein (init)