|Description||The Handbook project is responsible for maintaining Gentoo's official Handbook.|
Last elected: 2016/10/10
(and inherited members)
|Parent Project||Gentoo Wiki Project|
As a platform, the wiki has enabled every Gentoo developer (not just those in the Documentation team) and many in the community to maintain Gentoo documentation. Almost all of the articles produced by the former documentation team are in publicly editable namespace.
In order to clarify who will continue to assume responsibility for the Gentoo Handbook, the Handbook project was created as a sub-project of the Wiki project. The Handbook contains Gentoo's official and crucial installation instructions; it is too risky to put it publicly editable namespace.
Suggestions for Handbook improvements can be left on each section's related discussion page. Among other areas of contribution, those who are a part of Handbook project will make it a priority to respond to these critiques. See our list of project goals below.
These goals will be with us each year:
- Handle 'marking' updated sections of the Handbook for translation.
- Maintain the Handbook Development guide.
- Close all open discussions in the Handbook: namespace. We understand that the state will not stay this way, but at least we will close all open discussions at one point in time.
- Modernize and maintain the official Gentoo Handbook documentation in the Handbook: namespace. This task is a bit subjective, but we need to fully cover UEFI installs, M.2 devices, and (potentially) a wireless networking section (or at least a link to more internal resources on Wifi).
- Fix/update the disk partitioning sections of the amd64 and x86 Handbooks. Cover:
- Gentoo Handbook development - Information for Handbook maintainers and translators regarding Gentoo handbook development.