|Description||The Handbook project is responsible for maintaining Gentoo's official Handbook.|
|IRC channel||#gentoo-wiki (webchat)|
Last elected: 2016/10/10
(and inherited member(s))
As a platform, the wiki has enabled every Gentoo developer (not just those in the Documentation team) and many in the community to maintain Gentoo documentation. Most of the articles produced by the former documentation team are in publicly editable namespaces.
In order to clarify who will continue to assume responsibility for the Gentoo Handbook, the Handbook project was created as a sub-project of the Wiki project. The Handbook contains Gentoo's official and crucial installation instructions, since it is risky to put official installation documentation into publicly editable namespaces.
Suggestions for Handbook improvements can be left on each section's related discussion page. Among other areas of contribution, members of the Handbook project will make it a priority to respond to these critiques.
The goals of this project are listed below.
Long term / Recurring
These goals will be with us each year:
- Handle 'marking' updated sections of the Handbook for translation.
- Maintain the Handbook Development guide.
- Look after open discussions in the Handbook namespace.
- Modernize and maintain the official Gentoo Handbook documentation in the Handbook: namespace. This task is a bit subjective, but we need to fully cover UEFI installs, M.2 devices, and (potentially) a wireless networking section (or at least a link to more internal resources on Wifi).
- Fix/update the disk partitioning sections of the amd64 and x86 Handbooks. Cover:
- Gentoo Handbook development - Information for Handbook maintainers and translators regarding Gentoo handbook development.