Contributor's guide — Guidelines — Fixing errors howto
Editing pages — Talk pages — Formatting
Code of conduct — Wiki project page — About Gentoo wiki — Wiki FAQ
Contributing to Gentoo
Certain types of files may be uploaded to the wiki. This is particularly useful for uploading images, to be placed on an article.
This article describes how to upload and use files on the wiki.
- Assets to be uploaded must be licensed under a free license, selected from the Licensing field on the upload page.
- The license of the asset must be correctly stated. If unsure, do not upload.
- Fair Use as described in the United States copyright law can not be assumed here.
- Uploading copyrighted assets that are not subject to a free license and stating Copyright <author> is not sufficient.
- If there is express written permission to use such a copyrighted asset, state so in the Summary description.
- The asset must be relevant to an on-topic article for this Wiki. Uploading user avatars is not permitted.
- Assets in violation of this policy will be deleted without notice. Users repeatedly uploading such assets will be banned.
Upload a file
- Prepare the file for upload. Make sure the file contents are correct and the right file is selected.
- In the navigation bar, under “tools”, click “Upload file”.
- Click “Browse” next to the “Source filename:” to locate the file on the local computer (the name of the “browse” button depends on the web browser).
- Change the “Destination filename:” to something descriptive, if necessary.
- Fill in the “Summary,” if necessary.
- Select a legally valid license for the file.
- Click the “Upload file” button.
If it is a large file, it may take several seconds for the upload to complete.
Using images and file description pages
After uploading a file, it may be used in an article, with some special wiki syntax to create the link. See Help:Images.
Each file gets its very own “file description page” within the File namespace of the wiki. Edit this page to provide more information about the file. The wiki project is sensitive to copyright issues, so explain where the file came from, and what its copyright status is, on the description page. Any other useful descriptive notes could also be added there.
List of files in the wiki
There are a number of special pages to view and manage files which have been uploaded. Go to “Special pages” (in the tools menu):
- Gallery of new files - Newly uploaded images will appear here.
- File list - Shows all of the files.
- Unused files - Helps track down files which might not be needed.
See Help:Special pages for details of the other information available here.