It is very easy to edit the contents of the wiki: account in hand, it only takes a few clicks! This article describes the Edit function of wiki pages. See the contributor's guide and other help pages on how to contribute to the wiki for how to edit pages and provide content.
Enter changes to wiki source text here, following the Gentoo wiki guidelines. There is also a "visual" editor available.
Enter a short description of changes in the "Summary:" box. It's content is not very important, it is just a quick reference for other editors to know what was done in an edit.
The summary gets stored alongside the edit, and allows other contributors to track changes in the wiki more effectively. Changes might not be obvious, so the goal of this field is to describe the change and the reason behind it at a glance.
For very small changes that can't reasonably need any further work, such as fixing links, punctuation, or typos, please check the This is a minor edit box. This will allow other editors to concentrate on larger modifications when checking over what is going on in the wiki.
The "Show preview" button will show what a page will look like, once it is saved, but without actually saving the page. It is helpful to check what a page will look like before saving, to check for obvious mistakes.
The "Show changes" button previews the differences between the existing version and the edited version. This feature can help to determine what information to include in the edit summary.
This button will commit the modified article to the wiki. Make sure to have confirmation after clicking: depending on configuration, it may ask to properly fill in the edit summary before effectively saving. Some content may refuse to save, such as incorrect links to internal wiki pages - correct any errors before saving.
Watch this page
Select this check box to add page to add the page to the user's watchlist, on saving.
- Gentoo_Wiki:Guidelines — a set of suggestions for adding, editing, and removing content on the Gentoo wiki.
- Help:Contents — provide useful information about using the Gentoo wiki - editing section.
- Help:Deleting a page — how to mark a page for deletion.
- Help:Moving a page — Moving (renaming) a page means changing it's name, so it will appear at a different address on the wiki.
- Help:Starting a new page — ways to start a new page.
- Help:Talk pages — talk page which can be used to discuss wiki work with other users.