Hi - thanks for viewing this page.
I am a Gentoo user for a long time, but only recently started contributing by writing and updating wiki articles. I have tried other distros but always came back to Gentoo. Gentoo is to me an elegant linux version, that I can customize and optimize to my heart's content.
I am working at Oracle. Any opinions stated on this wiki are my own, and not Oracle's.
Typically I prefer minimalistic setups:
- Simple window managers like openbox, and recently i3
- Recently I have replaced wpa_supplicant with iwd.
- Networking always interests me, so I have also installed wireguard vpn
- Using openrc as an init system, including openrc-init as init system.
Live pages that I work(ed) on include:
- 2018: A Lenovo e485 laptop with Ryzen 5 2500U. Had some trouble initially because linux had insufficient support for AMD Ryzen Raven, but since linux version 4.19 it is fine
- 2016: A self built rig based on an AsRock Q1900 ITX board with an Intel J1900 processor. Use it as backup, mail, and file server. Suffering already for a long time under this bug, causing hangs when idle. There is still hope that with linux 5.3 this problem will finally be resolved.
- 2014: A Zotac Zbox ID42 Plus mini-PC. Interesting combination of a low power Intel Celeron 847 CPU, 2 gigabit ethernet ports, and an Nvidia dedicated GT610 graphics adapter. Used to be my HTPC, but it's now a backup box
- 2008: An Acer Aspire One netbook, with a 32-bit Atom N270 processor. Recently reinstalled it with a focus on optimization for size (gcc option -Os). It now boots in 35 seconds into an i3 X session, which is a great achievement for minimalistic 2008 hardware. It uses only 55MB, leaving a lot of room for other programs and buffers.