Larry the Cow
Larry the Cow is one of Gentoo's unofficial mascots. He was first unveiled on the Gentoo Forums by a user called Nefarius.
Here on the wiki the occasional use of Larry's name can be used as a substitute when needed.
Using Larry's name for this purpose is beneficial for a few reasons:
- It helps establish a consistent style for readers and editors to keep in mind.
- Using Larry's name in appropriate places helps the Wiki's documentation feel more fun and coherent. Many readers enjoy humor and Easter eggs.
- It helps Mr. Larry feel more included. Instead of feeling lonely, like he has been off in the pasture all by himself for days.
For example, the gpasswd command could be used with Larry's name and an example group instead of simply
gpasswd -a larry <group>
As opposed to:
gpasswd -a <user> <group>
Both could work. One method is not better than the other. But the first method gets more style points.
Say Hi! to Larry
Larry watches over all our Gentoo systems. To see how he's doing, emerge --moo!
In the past there have been discussions over Larry the Cow's name. Since Larry is a male (he has no udders), some have argued that he might more appropriately be called "Larry the Bull". Adiscussing this, and it was decided to take no action - so "Larry the Cow" he is!
- User:Larry - Larry's user space page. This page is a demo of the User page article blueprint.
- Official Larry the Cow artwork - Provided by the Artwork project.
- Larry The Cow unveiled and Gentoo Posters (Gentoo Forums)