|Description||The Artwork project manages Gentoo artwork and related assets. This includes wallpapers, logos, themes, icons sets, etc.|
|Lead(s)|| none |
No lead election date set
(and inherited members)
|Parent Project||Gentoo Linux|
As the community using Gentoo as a desktop operating system continues to grow, one of the main areas which the users tend to concentrate on are the themes and artwork of their desktop. We created this project precisely for these users! The Gentoo Artwork project is responsible for creation and maintenance of all the artwork-related stuff within Gentoo.
Interested in creating artwork yourself? Check out some of the logos and graphical building blocks that can be used.
The Gentoo Artwork project welcomes contributions and participation. Methods of involvement could include (but are not limited to) the following areas:
- Create new vector-based artwork that relates to the Gentoo community.
- Create close-to-perfect vector-remakes of past work that mattered with no sources available (even after research).
Communicate, manage, and organize
- Encourage artwork contributions from the community through:
- Organizing graphics contests (use, target, prices, realization).
- Coming up with other fresh approaches and their implementation.
Communicate with artists of existing artwork
- Encourage variations where it makes sense.
- Ensure availability of source files (Inkscape, Blender, textures, etc.).
- Ensure licensing:
- Is known and free for all parts.
- Is compatible with the chosen composition.
- Ensure availability of proper resolutions:
- Big enough, i.e. >1024x768
- Coverage of aspect ratios, i.e. 4:3, 5:4, 8:5 at least.
Maintain and document
- Maintain and improve artwork related websites in Gentoo, most importantly:
- Gentoo artwork - Logos and graphical building blocks.
- Gentoo color palette - Colors commonly used in Gentoo.
- Gentoo Branded Artwork - Button, wallpapers and the likes.
- Gentoo Name and Logo Usage Guidelines - Legal information.
- Gentoo Foundation artwork approval - Process for approving Gentoo artwork used by third parties.