It is in active development, can be extended by many plugins, and allows importing of mbox-format mailboxes (coming from Thunderbird, for example). Its native mailbox format is wikipedia:MH Message Handling System, although the mbox format can be used with a plugin. Claws Mail cannot write HTML messages (in keeping with the Keep It Simple principle), but can read them using plugins.
For Gentoo Linux it is provided by the mail-client/claws-mail package for all architectures except ia64.
USE flags for mail-client/claws-mail An email client (and news reader) based on GTK+
||Enable archiving plugin||local|
||Build mail-filter/bogofilter plugin||local|
||Add support for Clam AntiVirus software (usually with a plugin)||global|
||Enable plugin for access to Google data providers||local|
||Prefer net-libs/gnutls as SSL/TLS provider (ineffective with USE=-ssl)||global|
||Build support for GTK+3||local|
||Add support for IMAP (Internet Mail Application Protocol)||global|
||Enable sound notification in connection with USE=notification||local|
||Enable notification through DBUS in connection with USE=notification||local|
||Enable notification on the desktop in connection with USE=notification||local|
||Enable net-misc/networkmanager support||global|
||Add Native Language Support (using gettext - GNU locale utilities)||global|
||Add support for newsgroups (Network News Transfer Protocol)||global|
||Notification for new mail in different way, see also USE flags libcanberra, libindicate and libnotify||local|
||Add support for portable devices||global|
||Enable PGP support||local|
||Add optional support/bindings for the Python language||global|
||Build plugin for sieve filter support||local|
||Build plugin for S/MIME support||local|
||Enable plugin for spam reporting to various services||local|
||Build mail-filter/spamassassin plugin||local|
||Add dictionary support||global|
||Enable application startup event feedback mechanism||global|
||Add support for memory debugging using valgrind||local|
||Add xface support used to allow a small image of xface format to be included in an email via the header 'X-Face'||global|
Plugins are compiled with Claws Mail when the appropriate USE flags are set —
Before version 3.9.1 plugins had to be separately emerged.
- Simple way: Bogofilter is a powerful Bayesian filter which doesn't need to be configured. It quickly learns from the user's spam and ham classifications in Claws Mail. It is the preferred spam filter for desktop computers. Set the
bogofilterUSE flag to compile the plugin with Claws Mail.
- Hard way: Spamassassin is a huge mail filtering system, using Bayesian filtering and external spam-definition resources. It must be extensively configured and its daemon (spamd) must be running for Claws Mail to use it. It is the preferred spam filter for mail servers. Set the
spamassassinUSE flag to compile the plugin with Claws Mail. Some information can be found in the articles Complete Virtual Mail Server and Mailfiltering Gateway.
Create a /etc/portage/package.use/claws-mail file to activate the desired USE flags (or add them to the /etc/portage/package.use file). To set
archive, for example:
echo 'mail-client/claws-mail bogofilter pgp archive' > /etc/portage/package.use/claws-mail
Then emerge Claws Mail:
emerge --ask mail-client/claws-mail
- Accounts, mail filtering, models, actions, labels, etc. are set in the Configuration menu;
- main configuration is done in Configuration > Preferences…;
- plugins are (de)activated in Configuration > Plugins… and configured in Configuration > Preferences…;
- the archive plugin is run from Tools > Create Archive…;
- the user interface can be modified: lists headers in global or message views, icons, fonts;
- the address book can import and export several formats.
mail-client/clawsker can be installed to edit many preferences which are not in the GUI:
emerge --ask mail-client/clawsker
Then launch it when Claws Mail is not running:
The Claws Mail preferences file is ~/.claws-mail/clawsrc.
Many icon themes can be installed with x11-themes/claws-mail-themes:
emerge --ask x11-themes/claws-mail-themes