Why is /opt/bin added to $PATH ?
- I'm not sure why it was there. It should only need /usr/lib/ccache/bin pre-pended. Fixed now! Thanks! --Maffblaster (talk) 19:53, 25 April 2017 (UTC)
distcc -march=native warning
- I personally prefer to keep the instructions static by not including the various enhancements (such as distcc, ccache and what not) in them. Users who want to use distcc for distributed compiling should use the Distcc article (which makes it quite clear) and then follow through the installation instructions using the Distcc article in mind. --SwifT (talk) 08:21, 3 January 2015 (UTC)
- tl;dr: Agreed. The warning is not needed here. LongRead: I was thinking that the info on this page (to be exact: Handbook:AMD64/Working/Features#Using_distcc) is enough, for somebody reading, to enable distcc without bothering to go read more from the Distcc page and therefore since they already have -march=native enabled from before, as per this article Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Stage#CFLAGS_and_CXXFLAGS, they would probably miss this fact that the warning is all about. Maybe this applies only to beginners, like myself, if they don't ask themselves whether -march=native and distcc would work and try to answer the question by going to Distcc. Actually, I realize now that in order to use distcc one would have to visit the Distcc article in order to learn how to set up the distccd server and thus will not miss that warning. I thus then agree with what you said, the warning is not necessary here on this page. Thanks. --EmanueLczirai (talk) 16:12, 3 January 2015 (UTC)
For emerge --sync to no longer work
Following instructions from Handbook:AMD64/Working/Features#Pulling_validated_portage_tree_snapshots for me, /etc/portage/repos.conf is inexistent (tested with an already empty file too), yet emerge --sync still works, unless I (also) set SYNC="rsync://127.0.0.1/" in /etc/portage/make.conf - which is what actually makes emerge --sync to no longer work. --EmanueLczirai (talk) 19:20, 4 January 2015 (UTC)
- Yes, those instructions were not correct. The right way is to clear the variables. I've updated the document.
- On a stable system:
[DEFAULT] main-repo = gentoo [gentoo] sync-type= sync-uri=
- With that in place, emerge --sync does nothing, and does it gracefully ;-)
Addition to "Validated Gentoo repository snapshots" section
It would be nice to add to the crypto-verified portage tree section that you can "check" all of your previously downloaded packages with the new fancy crypto-verified portage tree with
emerge --ask -e -f world
- Now that the Gentoo ebuild repository is verified by default, it wouldn't hurt to add this to the Handbook. I have added it here and to the Portage article. Closing discussion. --Maffblaster (talk) 20:48, 23 August 2018 (UTC)
"Portage has several additional features that makes the Gentoo experience even better."
Please fix makes with make.
"Add distcc to the FEATURES variable inside /etc/portage/make.conf."
In the previous sentence I would apply the code tags as well:
distcc to the FEATURES variable inside /etc/portage/make.conf."
HTTP to HTTPS
Please use HTTPS for the https://ccache.samba.org/ link.