Gentoo Wiki:Requested Articles
This page is a work in process by Gentoo wiki contributors. Anyone is welcome to help by creating articles (listed below) that do not exist on our wiki. Join #gentoo-wiki (webchat) if you have any questions!
Please list some topics that users of the Gentoo wiki would like to see added to the Gentoo wiki. See also the Stub category index page for articles that need expansion. Many requests listed here are works in progress, so feel free to add new pages or to improve pages that are linked here. There is still much to do!
Project and community
How to contribute to Gentoo- Done! ( Ben de Groot (Yngwin) )
- Introduction to Gentoo Linux (perhaps to replace Benefits of Gentoo) - a more "neutral" description of differences between Gentoo and other distros is needed; not simply a "pro/con" style tit-for-tat, since what's a "pro" to one user may be a "con" for others. - In Process... ( Matthew Marchese (Maffblaster) )
- musl - How to replace glibc with musl. See https://www.musl-libc.org/
- uClibc-ng - How to replace glibc with uClibc-ng. See https://uclibc-ng.org/
Quick Install Guide to parallel the Quick Install Guide- Done! (Defer ) The install guide has been updated to handle both x86 and AMD64 systems.
- Multi-boot - A guide on how to boot multiple operating systems?
Kernel/Configuration: Kernel configuration walk through- Done! ( Arne Stäcker (Astaecker) )
- LiveDVD - we have LiveUSB and, say, Project:RelEng/LiveDVD (and even LiveDVD-Persistence-Mode!), but no dedicated article for the LiveDVD(s).
System tools and daemons
daemontools- Done! (GuillermoDH and Matthew Marchese (Maffblaster) )
- sysklogd -
syslog-ng- Done! s6- Done! (Tclover )
egencache- Done! ( Matthew Marchese (Maffblaster) ) elogv- Done! ( Joshua Rutkowski (Jrtk) ) epkginfo- Done! ( Matthew Marchese (Maffblaster) ) portageq- Done! ( Matthew Marchese (Maffblaster) ) qcheck- Done! ( Joshua Rutkowski (Jrtk) ) savedconfig-Done! ( Matthew Marchese (Maffblaster) ) ufed- Done! ( Matthew Marchese (Maffblaster) )
Virtualization, containers, chroots, etc.
- Chroot Guide (to test self-written ebuilds) - In progress... ( Matthew Marchese (maffblaster) )
- Profile switching (Arch/Subarch, multilib,...) -
Docker- Done! (Sasf54 and Nemunaire )
- See Project:Docker for the official Gentoo project.
- Cobbler -
Configuration management tools
- Ansible - Started by Jirutka . Finished by ?
- CFEngine -
- Chef -
Puppet- Done! ( Alex Legler (a3li) )
- Salt - Michael Everitt (veremit) will start something on this
bzip2- Done! (Stonespheres )
- gzip -
tar- Done! ( Christopher Díaz Riveros (ChrisADR) ) unzip- Done! ( Matthew Marchese (Maffblaster) )
- xz -
zip- Done! ( Matthew Marchese (Maffblaster) )
- zpaq - in progress (User:Ng0/drafts/zpaq ng0 )
Shell and terminal console
shellinabox- Done! ( Matthew Marchese (maffblaster) )
- Busybox -
- getty -
- kmscon -
st- Done! (Hariskar )
- Playing DVDs and BluRays -
Wayland- Done! (James )
- jumanji -
- MythTV - In progress ( Gavin Pryke (Gavlee) )
WeeChat- Done! ( Matthew Marchese (Maffblaster) )
- Konversation -
- Quassel -
Pidgin- Done! ( Christopher Díaz Riveros (ChrisADR) ) HexChat- In progress. ( Joshua Rutkowski (Jrtk) )
- Apcupsd: an application for interacting with APC uninterruptible power supplies -
Network interface- Done!
Keyboard layout switching- Done! (Nfk ) A list of desktop environments- Done! (Reisio , Matthew Marchese (maffblaster) )
Server and security
Static website engines
- bird -
- beowulf cluster -
chrony- Done! Brian Evans (Grknight)
- dhcpd -
- udhcpc -
- dhclient -
- etherape -
- firehol -
- firewalld -
- fwbuilder -
- guacamole -
- italc -
metasploit- Done! ( Christopher Díaz Riveros (ChrisADR) )
- nufw -
- phpbb mods > solved & recaptcha
- pepperspot -
- pump -
- rdesktop with grdesktop section
- sanewall -
- shorewall -
- trac -
- ufw-frontends -
- zeroconf -
- Special:WantedPages - Complete list generated by the wiki itself.