From Gentoo Wiki
Example of a bad topic
Version bumps. A user who just copies foo-1.0.ebuild to foo-2.0.ebuild does not save any time for us. Compare:
- Copy foo-1.0.ebuild to foo-2.0.ebuild (10 seconds)
- Review PR (10 minutes)
- Ask to fix the PR, many comments (20 minutes)
- Test the PR (20-120 minutes)
- Merge with comments and attributions (10 minutes)
Example of a good topic
- A generic bug affecting many packages.
- Ideally the bugs are already organized in one of the active TRACKERs
- The problem has typically an easy fix and requires no discussion and no changes in eclasses
- Most of the workload can be provided by the contributor and relieves the Gentoo developers
- Fixing variable names as in bug #705764 for gcc-10 support is a good example.
Enter your suggestion for the next Bugday here.
- Testing pypy3 on more Python packages
- Search old bug tickets and check, if it is solved already / still reproducible with latest version
- Test, if programs which require CD/DVD/restricted downloads still install properly. (The developers have access to very few discs. This topic requires users who have access to the media.)
- Packages broken with Qt 5.15 bug #726178 (most have just a missing include line)
- Improve the wiki pages about Ebuild/Package testing.
- Properly define BDEPEND or port to EAPI 7 in the first place to fix building sysroots (bug list)
- desktop-misc is on the way to get dissolved. There are many open bug tickets, which would be easy to fix with a PR now.
- Migrate ebuilds to the new lua eclass. Tracker: bug #657722