From Gentoo Wiki
Topic 1: Old bugs
Search old bug tickets and check if it is
- solved already
- still reproducible with the latest version
The Bug Cleaners' list of resources is a good place to start.
Topic 2: Patches for packages failing with -fno-common
Important because: This bug blocks the upgrade to gcc-10
How to find packages with this bug?
- Many packages are linked to the bug tracker ticket bug #705764
How to fix this bug?
- First, check, if there is a patch upstream already
- Write a patch, send it upstream and link it in the bug of the package.
- gcc-10 porting notes about fno_common
I still do not know how to start. Could you provide an example workflow?
Larry wants to fix one of his favourite packages.
- Larry picks one package in bug #705764
- Larry adds the bug number to the "looking at" column in his row in the Activity Tracker (and adds a row for himself if one does not already exist) so others can see this bug is being worked on
- net-misc/networkmanager: Fails to compile with -fno-common bug #706000
- check upstream - is there a fix?
- if there is, decide if a patch or a version bump makes more sense.
- download or write a patch, copy it to /etc/portage/patches and test it
- report upstream, and link the upstream bug/ticket in Gentoo's Bugzilla
- now that the task is completed, Larry should update the Activity Tracker by moving the bug number from the "looking at" column to the "completed" column
|Larry the Cow||fix bug #000001 bug #000002||bug #000001|
|winterheart||bug #707744 bug #706912 bug #681820 bug #568298|
|epsilonKNOT||bug #707584 bug #712034|