From Gentoo Wiki
Bugday focus: Wiki documentation and -fno-common package testing!
Topic 1: Add or improve documentation here on the wiki
Important because: The wiki is an important documentation platform for Gentoo. We exchange our knowledge there, but the wiki needs also some care.
- Requested articles - Articles about things our community would like to know more about, but haven't been written yet.
- Contribute to articles in the Todo category:
- Dirty - Clean up 'dirty' articles by improving grammar, punctuation, or clarity.
- Outdated articles - Bring outdated articles up to speed on current practices.
- Stub - Fill stub articles with appropriate content.
- Misused templates - Fix misused templates.
- Wikify articles - Add proper formatting to articles that need wikification.
- Todo articles - Cross off itemized tasks that need action.
- Feedback - Suggest wiki maintainers to make a wiki-wide change.
- Our wiki article about the Ryzen CPUs in Gentoo is important for many users, and needs some care.
Topic 2: Patches for packages failing with -fno-common
Important because: This bug blocks the upgrade to gcc-10
How to find packages with this bug?
- Many packages are linked to the bug tracker ticket bug #705764
How to fix this bug?
- First, check, if there is a patch upstream already
- Write a patch, send it upstream and link it in the bug of the package.
- gcc-10 porting notes about fno_common
I still do not know how to start. Could you provide an example workflow?
Larry wants to fix one of his favorite packages.
- Larry picks one package in bug #705764
- Larry adds the bug number to the "looking at" column in his row in the Activity Tracker (and adds a row for himself if one does not already exist) so others can see this bug is being worked on
- net-misc/networkmanager: Fails to compile with -fno-common bug #706000
- check upstream - is there a fix?
- if there is, decide if a patch or a version bump makes more sense.
- download or write a patch, copy it to /etc/portage/patches and test it
- report upstream, and link the upstream bug/ticket in Gentoo's Bugzilla
- now that the task is completed, Larry should update the Activity Tracker by moving the bug number from the "looking at" column to the "completed" column
|Larry the Cow||fix bug #000001 bug #000002||bug #000001|
|Herbmillerjr||bug #707000||bug #709298|
- Bugday — a single day each month devoted to development efforts pertaining to a certain area of the Gentoo project.