|Description||Planet Gentoo aggregates blog articles written by contributing developers.|
|Parent Project||Gentoo Public Relations Project|
Planet Gentoo provides a central aggregation of developers' blogs, to keep users and other developers informed of what they are working on
We run a service, Planet Gentoo, which aggregates articles written by contributing developers. This is optional, but any developer is encouraged to participate. It helps communication between developers, and users find it to be an interesting read too. While Planet is strictly Gentoo-themed, an additional service runs to cover any non Gentoo related posts, called Universe.
In order to post content to Planet/Universe, you need to have your own weblog ("blog"). Many sites provide this as a free service, or you can host it yourself (if you have the resources). Alternatively, we can host a blog for you at Gentoo Developer Blogs. If you are interested in contributing to Planet Gentoo, please read the instructions below, and then file a bug providing the relevant information.
Resources offered by the Planet project are:
- Website: Planet Gentoo (An aggregation of Gentoo-related weblog articles)
- Website: Gentoo Universe (An aggregation of weblog articles on all topics)
- Website: Gentoo Developer Blogs
- Admininstration: Instructions for Planet and Blogs administrators
- Administration: Planet Gentoo config files
- Administration: Gentoo Blogs plugins/themes
- Blogs at blogs.gentoo.org are provided to Gentoo Developers only, thus if you lose your developer status we'll revoke your access to your blog.
- The content in blogs.gentoo.org will stay there for archive reasons.
- Planet posts should be strictly Gentoo related and in English. Universe posts don't have to follow that rule.
- Please be careful with what you write about. Your views may be inappropriately interpreted as the views of Gentoo. Please be careful not to damage our image.
- The Gentoo community is consisted of all kinds of people, so please avoid any racist comments.
- While constructive criticism is welcome, flamewars and attacks towards other projects or people are forbidden.
- The Planet Gentoo team has the right to ban people from Planet/Universe or suspend authors from Gentoo Developer Blogs that don't follow the above terms.
To ask for a new blog hosted in blogs.gentoo.org, or to be included in Planet / Universe, please make sure you have read the Terms section, and then file a bug , selecting Product
Website www.gentoo.org and Component
Planet . You'll need to provide us the following information:
- An RSS feed reflecting your Gentoo category or tag, for Planet posts.
- Optional: An RSS feed that will reflect wider range of posts, for Universe. An RSS feed that aggregates the whole blog is also acceptable
- A gravatar mail (see below for more info).
- For a new blog in blogs.gentoo.org, state it clearly in the bug. After that you'll be asked to set up a Gentoo category/tag and a gravatar mail, for Planet / Universe aggregation.
Also, you can file a bug in case something is wrong with Planet/Universe/Blogs, or in case you want a new plugin/theme added for WordPress.
Planet Gentoo and Gentoo Universe can display an icon or headshot of the developer on the website. For ease of maintenance, we use gravatars (globally recognized avatars) which the developer can manage personally. Users can create their own gravatar at http://www.gravatar.com/. By default, the MD5 string we use to access the personalized avatars is email@example.com. If you already have an account under a different e-mail address and would like to use that instead, please contact a developer to have your configuration updated.
A list of plugins available at blogs.gentoo.org wordpress installation:
- Clean archives reloaded
- Google intergration toolkit
- Smart Youtube
- wordpress.com stats
We would like to thank the following authors and editors for their contributions to this guide:
- Christel Dahlskjær