Objective: Reduce the maintenance burden of rsync mirrors by reducing the number of machines and aiming for higher reliability.
- Keep the masterrsync host around, use it to feed the rest of the network nodes.
- Run a network per continent (Asia, EU, US).
- Automatically scale the network based on CPU usage.
A PoC of this is on GCP.
We have n1-standard-1 instances serving rsync out of a container.
- 2.5 cents/h => month is $18/month for NLB.
- $25/mo for a single n1-standard-1.
- 1 TB of bandwidth is about $120.