./play.it is libre software that automates the build of native packages for multiple distributions, including Gentoo, from DRM-free installers for commercial games. The generated packages are then installed using the standard tools provided by the distribution.
Using installed version
Assuming the game installer is called setup.exe, using ./play.it to install a game is a two-steps process:
- Run ./play.it by giving it the path to the game installer:
- Follow the emerge instructions provided at the end of the process, or use the provided quickunpkg script.
Using scripts from ./play.it website
./play.it can be used without being installed. This is not the recommended method if your distribution provides packages for it.
To use these scripts on a system that does not have ./play.it available, follow these steps:
- Find your game on the website, go to its page;
- Download in a same directory the two files provided on the game page, one is the ./play.it library (libplayit2.sh) and the other a game-specific script (with a name similar to play-game.sh);
- Install the scripts dependencies listed on the game page;
- Run the game script by giving it the path to your game installer as its argument, this should be something similar to:
- Follow the emerge instructions provided at the end of the process, or use the provided quickunpkg script
A contact e-mail for feedback can usually be found in each ./play.it script, as well as the library. Open one of these files with any text editor to see the contact e-mail.