KiCad is a cross-platform and open-source electronics design automation (EDA) suite for creation of electronic schematic diagrams and printed circuit board (PCB) artwork. Jean-Pierre Charras began development of the program in 1992 in order to have "a tool to teach electronics to his students, and also to learn how to code in C++". CERN has contributed to its development since 2013 and KiCad joined the Linux Foundation in 2019. The "Ki" part of the program name was based on a friend's company's name because other options were taken already.
USE flags for sci-electronics/kicad Electronic Schematic and PCB design tools
||Add extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc). It is recommended to enable per package instead of globally|
||Install examples, usually source code|
||Add Native Language Support (using gettext - GNU locale utilities)|
||Build support for the OpenMP (support parallel computing), requires >=sys-devel/gcc-4.2 built with USE="openmp"|
USE flags for sci-electronics/kicad-meta Electronic Schematic and PCB design tools (meta package)
Emerging sci-electronics/kicad will install the basic program.
emerge --ask sci-electronics/kicad
To install all of:
emerge --ask sci-electronics/kicad-meta
- KICAD6_3DMODEL_DIR: Base path of 3D models used in footprints.
- KICAD6_3RD_PARTY: Location for plugins, libraries, and color themes installed by the Plugin and Content Manager.
- KICAD6_FOOTPRINT_DIR: Base path of footprint library files.
- KICAD6_SYMBOL_DIR: Base path of symbol library files.
- KICAD6_TEMPLATE_DIR: Location of project templates installed with KiCad.
- KICAD_USER_TEMPLATE_DIR: Location of personal project templates.
User configuration files are stored in ~/.config/kicad.
emerge --ask --depclean --verbose sci-electronics/kicad
- https://klc.kicad.org/ — KiCad Library Convention: a set of requirements for contributing to the official KiCad libraries
- https://ohwr.org/project/cern-kicad/wikis/home — CERN BE-CO-HT Contributions to KiCad
- https://ohwr.org/welcome — the Open Hardware Repository
- https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Reference-Manual-Jean-Pierre-Charras/dp/1680921274 — KiCad Complete Reference Manual, 2018 edition