In an ebuild the KEYWORDS variable informs in which architectures the ebuild is stable or still in testing phase.
The following example contains some possible values for the KEYWORDS variable:
KEYWORDS="alpha amd64 arm arm64 hppa ia64 m68k ~mips ppc ppc64 s390 sh sparc x86 ~sparc-fbsd ~x86-fbsd"
See the /var/db/repos/gentoo/profiles/arch.list for a list of keywords.
~ (a tilde character) placed in front of various architectures in the example above means that architecture is in a "testing phase" and is not ready for production usage.
In addition to the normal KEYWORDS values Portage supports three special tokens:
*- Package is visible if it is stable on any architecture.
~*- Package is visible if it is in testing on any architecture.
**- Package is always visible (KEYWORDS are ignored completely).
-* KEYWORD is specified, this indicates that the package is known to be broken on all systems which are not otherwise listed in KEYWORDS. For example, a binary only package which is built for the x86 will look like:
equery meta fdftk
* app-text/fdftk [gentoo] Maintainer: email@example.com Maintainer: firstname.lastname@example.org (Gentoo TeX Project) Upstream: None specified Homepage: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/fdftoolkit.html Location: /var/portage/repos/gentoo/app-text/fdftk Keywords: 6.0-r1:0: x86 -* License: Adobe
To accept this package anyways, then use one of the other keywords in the package.accept_keywords like this:
For detailed information see the portage(5) man page.
- ACCEPT_KEYWORDS — informs the package manager which ebuilds' KEYWORDS values it is allowed to accept.
- Knowledge Base:Accepting a keyword for a single package
- Knowledge Base:Accepting a keyword for all packages
- Stable request — the procedure for moving an ebuild from testing to stable.
- Package testing — provides information for ebuild developers on testing ebuilds.
- /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords — files or directories of files containing definitions for per-package ACCEPT_KEYWORDS statements.
- equery ke(y)words — display keywords for specified PKG