Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is a 1st class open-source roguelike game of exploration and treasure-hunting in dungeons filled with dangerous and unfriendly monsters in a quest to rescue the mystifyingly fabulous Orb of Zot. It features a wide variety of classes, items and spells and can be played offline and online. You can play the game in gui-mode (tiles useflag) or ascii-mode (ncurses useflag) or even in your browser. View a YouTube demo here.
emerge --ask games-roguelike/stone-soup
TomeNET is a multiplayer rogue-like, based on and somewhat similar to MAngband and ToME, and also featuring some Zangband and Cthulu Angband monsters. It was created around 2001 (originally under the name of PernMAngband which had to be renamed due to a letter of Anne McCaffrey's attorney who prohibited the use of the name Pern) as a fork of MAngband which got some ToME design added to it. TomeNET is feared for being hard to master, but at the same time the more rewarding to the skillful player who has learned to make use of all the nifty possibilities open to him. The game has a full-fledged documentation called The TomeNET Guide - HTML version.
- Time passes slower on deeper levels to make up for speed gain of players and monsters, keeping the real-time experience at an optimum
- Day/night changes, four seasons, weather.
- Sound effects and dynamic background music.
- Various character modes, including: Traditional rogue-like (one life), MAngband-style (infinite resurrections), PvP-mode for killing each other off in the game world or in a special PvP arena.
- Automatically scheduled special events.
- Post-king game play: Characters that have beaten the main boss, Morgoth, may venture into another insanely dangerous dungeon to try and find the last remaining path to Valinor, to possibly retire on its shores.
- Over 250 static artifacts, infinite random artifacts, over 200 special item powers, over 1000 items, over 1100 monsters and many 'ego monster' types (IE variations of base monsters).
- Over 200 types of floor features/terrain.
- Multiple towns and a rich world map with lots of completely different types of dungeons spread out over it.
- Parties and guilds, which feature shared houses and internal chat.
- 17 distinct races and 13 classes from which to choose.
- A variety of shape-shifting classes and features.
- Powerful macro system, featuring a wizard that makes macro creation easily done in three steps even by beginners.
- Different types of monster AI regarding movement and combat that will result in challenging behavior.
emerge --ask games-roguelike/tomenet