dash is the Debian Almquist shell: a small, fast, and POSIX compliant shell. It is well-suited for startup scripts, and is used on Debian (and derivative distributions) as /bin/sh.
As some shell scripts may have "bashisms" in them, dash is not guaranteed to work as a /bin/sh replacement on Gentoo, out-of-the-box.
See the terminal emulator article for some general usage pointers, though dash is not often used in interactive mode.
USE flags for app-shells/dash Debian Almquist Shell
emerge --ask app-shells/dash
See the article on on shell configuration for more info.
The output of a shell can, in some conditions, become corrupt. See the terminal emulator article for instructions to help fix this.
- Shell — command-line interpreter that offers a text-based interface to users.
- Bash — the default shell on Gentoo systems and a popular shell program found on many Linux systems.
- Fish — a smart and user-friendly command line shell for OS X, Linux, and the rest of the family.
- Zsh — an interactive login shell that can also be used as a powerful scripting language interpreter.
- Nushell — a new kind of shell for OS X, Linux, and Windows.