Bugday focus: LDFLAGS (again)
Topic 1: Respect toolchain variables - CC/CXX/CFLAGS/LDFLAGS/etc.
A lot of the ebuilds use incorrect toolchain variables causing esoteric problems, such as for cross-compiling, prefixes, LTO profiling, per-package workarounds, among many others.
These can generally be fixed by exporting the toolchain variables during the
src_configure using the
tc-export function from the toolchain-funcs.eclass.
Most of the bugs should be of this kind, with a quick 3 line diff. For more complicated bugs, please ask for assistance on #gentoo-bugday on freenode.
Open bugs for direct toolchain calls - https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=direct%20calls
Open bugs for not respecting flags - https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=does%20not%20respect
Topic 2: Bug cleaning - obsolete bugs
Gentoo bugzilla has been alive for a long while and the ease of communication on this platform has made it easy for reporting thousands of bugs. Unfortunately, a lot of the bugs are now obsolete, irrelevant, fixed or the packages are no longer present.
The focus of this topic is to find bugs which are no longer useful and clean them out of bugzilla.
I still do not know how to start. Could you provide an example workflow?
Larry wants to fix one of his favourite packages.
- Larry picks one package in bug #705764
- Larry adds the bug number to the "looking at" column in his row in the Activity Tracker (and adds a row for himself if one does not already exist) so others can see this bug is being worked on
- net-misc/networkmanager: Fails to compile with -fno-common bug #706000
- check upstream - is there a fix?
- if there is, decide if a patch or a version bump makes more sense.
- download or write a patch, copy it to /etc/portage/patches and test it
- report upstream, and link the upstream bug/ticket in Gentoo's Bugzilla
- now that the task is completed, Larry should update the Activity Tracker by moving the bug number from the "looking at" column to the "completed" column
|Larry the Cow||fix bug #000001 bug #000002||bug #000001|
|jstein||walking through old bugs||~|
|waebbl||fix bug #756046||PR https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/18518|
- Bugday — a single day each month devoted to development efforts pertaining to a certain area of the Gentoo project.