Android is an operating system developed by the Open Handset Alliance, led by Google, and mainly used on smartphones, tablets and multimedia boxes. It mainly runs on the ARM 6 and 7 architecture, but it has also been ported to x86 and MIPS. It uses the Linux kernel with a custom userland which is Apache licensed.
Gentoo has some Android-specific packages:
- Android/Devices — a list of mobile devices tested via the stage3 tarball provided by the Android project.
- Android USB tethering
- mksh — an actively developed free implementation of the Korn Shell programming language and a successor to the Public Domain Korn Shell
- Android/adb — Android Debug Bridge
- app-emulation/genymotion-bin - old forum post about using Genymotion from other overlays. The main package repo is more up to date.
- Note: genymotion will require an external account to be made with the company to use the emulator
- Android/SharkBait — A project to create a recognizable identity and foster development of Portage-powered Android.