WeeChat is a light, extensible, actively maintained, well documented, highly featured text-mode IRC client. WeeChat natively runs through ncurses for the text-mode interface, however for user convenience many 'remote' interfaces (GUIs) are available to relay WeeChat data to more accessible mediums (Android phones, Web interfaces, X GUIs, and more).
USE flags for net-irc/weechat Portable and multi-interface IRC client
||Enable plugin for alias control.||local|
||Enable buflist plugin.||local|
||Enable encoding conversions.||local|
||Add extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc). It is recommended to enable per package instead of globally||global|
||Enable exec plugin.||local|
||Enable FIFO support (sh pipes).||local|
||Add support for the guile Scheme interpreter||global|
||Enable IRC protocol support.||local|
||Enable support for logging.||local|
||Enable Lua scripting support||global|
||Add Native Language Support (using gettext - GNU locale utilities)||global|
||Add optional support/bindings for the Perl language||global|
||Add optional support/bindings for the Python language||global|
||Enable relay plugin (experimental)||local|
||Add support/bindings for the Ruby language||global|
||Build infrastructure for scripting.||local|
||Add dictionary support||global|
||Add support for Secure Socket Layer connections||global|
||Add support the Tcl language||global|
||Workaround to pull in packages needed to run with FEATURES=test. Portage-2.1.2 handles this internally, so don't set it in make.conf/package.use anymore||global|
||Enable trigger plugin.||local|
||Enable xfer plugin support.||local|
emerge --ask net-irc/weechat
An excellent quick start guide can be found on WeeChat's website. The official guide should be followed for the most up to date configuration instructions. Head over there and read the guide. When finished return here if necessary for further instructions.
After making it through step 7 in the WeeChat quick start guide Freenode should be added as the server. Custom channels can be automatically joined each time WeeChat is opened by running the following command inside the WeeChat client:
/set irc.server.freenode.autojoin "#gentoo,#gentoo-chat"
This should add the #gentoo and #gentoo-chat channels to the auto-join list each time weechat starts. Add or subtract more more channels to the comma separated list as desired. Everyone has their own channels interests!
Adding a relay
In order to use remote interfaces, WeeChat needs to be configured as a relay.
/relay add weechat <port_number>
Next set the password for the relay:
/set relay.network.password <password>
The following remote interfaces are available:
- Glowing Bear - A web frontend for WeeChat. See the Glowing Bear Guide for hosting Glowing Bear on Gentoo.
- QWeeChat - A Qt interface for WeeChat.
- WeeChat Android - Only works on Android phones. Simply download the application from the Google Play Store and get started!
- Emacs - A weird emacs thing.
Each remote interface has a unique setup. Not all of the clients available in the list above may be operational. Glowing Bear is probably the most tested of the bunch. When in doubt try Glowing Bear first.
Plugins for WeeChat can be added and removed via USE flags. See the USE flags section above for a list of available plugins.
It is common for many text-mode IRC client users to run the clients on a system that is always on always connected to the internet. This make it possible to never miss a mention or a message. Like most command-line programs, weechat will run all the time if opened in a screen or a tmux session which is then detached. This is currently the ideal method for staying connected to IRC networks continuously.
Open screen using the following command:
screen -t weechat
After weechat is configured press Ctrl+a to enter Command Mode and then d to detach from the screen session. It can be re-attached to later by running:
To list the currently running sessions and then entering:
screen -r <session>
<session> is a weird, crazy string.
For additional information on how to use screen visit the screen article.
Simply open tmux using the following command:
tmux new -s weechat
By default a green status stripe should be visible near the bottom of the terminal. This is an indicator that tmux is running. Start weechat:
After weechat has been configured, disconnect from the session by using Ctrl+b and then press d to detach.
In order to reconnect to the tmux session that is running (which was titled "Template:Weechat") issue:
tmux a -t weechat
For additional information on how to use tmux visit the tmux article.
After emerging updates, weechat can be 'in-place' upgraded without losing the currently open buffer list. This is performed by running the following command inside the weechat client:
See the upstream user guide for more additional details.
emerge --ask --depclean --verbose net-irc/weechat
Configuration and logs
After unmerging, for a full clean-up, be sure to remove old logs and individual user configuration from their default location in each weechat user's home directory:
rm -rf ~/.weechat
- Irssi - Another text mode IRC client.
- FAQ (official) - A list of Frequently Asked Questions concerning WeeChat.
- Quick Start guide (official) - WeeChat's excellent little Quick Start guide. It covers all the steps needed in order to connect to an IRC server, set up a nick name, etc. It's well worth the 5 minute read time.
- User's guide (official) - An in-depth user guide. Helpful for those who desired to become deeply familiar with WeeChat. It is also helpful as reference material.
- Tester's guide (official)
- Scripting guide (official)
- Plugin API reference (official) - Want to write a remote interface (front end) for WeeChat? This is one of the articles for that.
- Relay protocol (official) - This is another article that will need to be covered in order to write a remote interface (front end) for WeeChat.
- Developer's guide (official) - Want to develop WeeChat itself? Reading this guide will help with that goal.
- https://alexjj.com/blog/2016/9/setting-up-weechat/ - Suggestions on customizing WeeChat's configuration.