User:Parinzee/Gentoo on Surface Laptop 2
Gentoo on Surface Laptop 2
Author: Parinthapat Pengpun (Parinzee)
Contact: email@example.com (2-3 Days)
This guide will likely also work with other Surface Devices, however I do not assume responsibility for any damage of any kind. With that out of the way, we can start! Also, all data on your pc will be erased.
This will be a guide on installing Gentoo with:
- UEFI-GPT (EFI System Partition) /dev/nvme0n1p1
- Swap partition /dev/nvme0n1p2
- XFS (Home partition) /dev/nvme0n1p3
- Btrfs (Rootfs) /dev/nvme0n1p4
- With snapshots
- Patched pf-sources kernel
- With support from official linux-surface kernel
- Genkernel for initramfs only
- Grub 2
For hardware you need:
- External keyboard
- 8 GiB USB
- Usb Hub for connecting both at the same time
- (Optional but VERY recommended) Computer fan on the bottom to cool the laptop
With those set! Here are the software tools.
- We'll be using SysRescue CD obtainable here (amd64)
- Download iso
- Download etcher
- Use etcher to flash the SysRescue CD to your Usb earlier.
- Insert your usb into your pc
- Open up etcher
- Select the downloaded iso
- Then select your usb
- Flash and wait
Voila! A usb.
Boot into SysResCD
Before we can do that we have to access the Surface's bios.
Follow these steps:
- Shut down
- Hold down F6 while you tap the power button.
- Release F6 when you see a menu.