From Gentoo Wiki
- A Portage introduction
- This chapter explains simple steps readers must understand to maintain the software on their system.
- USE flags
- USE flags are a very important aspect of Gentoo. In this chapter, readers learn to work with USE flags and understand how USE flags interact with their system.
- Portage features
- Discover the features Portage has, such as support for distributed compiling, ccache, and more.
- Init script system
- Gentoo uses a special initscript format which, among other features, allows dependency-driven decisions and virtual initscripts. This chapter explains all these aspects and explains how to deal with these scripts.
- Environment variables
- Environment variables can be easily managed with Gentoo. This chapter explains how to do that, and also describes frequently used variables.