Tahoe-LAFS (Least Authority File System) is an encrypted, secure, distributed (fault-tolerant) file system). It does not require trust between parties in order to keep data safe and secure; the only caveat being involved parties must leave their system's connected to the storage network.
It is important to note that Tahoe-LAFS is written using the Twisted Python libraries therefore it is currently limited to running on Python 2.x interpreters.
(Optional section. Remove if not applicable.)
Write kernel feature instructions here.
There are only a couple USE flags available for Tahoe-LAFS, neither of them incorporate additional functionality. Essentially when more documentation is desired make sure the
doc flag is enabled in /etc/portage/package.use.
USE flags for net-fs/tahoe-lafs Secure, decentralized, data store
||Add extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc). It is recommended to enable per package instead of globally||global|
emerge --ask net-fs/tahoe-lafs
Tahoe can be invoked via:
emerge tahoe-lafs fails with a
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound error similar to the following:
* python2_7: running distutils-r1_run_phase distutils-r1_python_compile /usr/bin/python2.7 setup.py build Traceback (most recent call last): File "setup.py", line 73, in <module> import setuptools File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools/__init__.py", line 11, in <module> from setuptools.extension import Extension File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools/extension.py", line 8, in <module> from .dist import _get_unpatched File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/setuptools/dist.py", line 19, in <module> import pkg_resources File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3018, in <module> working_set = WorkingSet._build_master() File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 614, in _build_master return cls._build_from_requirements(__requires__) File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 627, in _build_from_requirements dists = ws.resolve(reqs, Environment()) File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 805, in resolve raise DistributionNotFound(req) pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: pycrypto==2.1.0,==2.3,>=2.4.1
The work around to this problem is to roll back the dev-python/setuptools package to an earlier version. It appears version 12.0.1 which is currently marked as stable on amd64 as an issue determining versioning for Python dependencies. Rolling back to version 7.0 should do the trick:
emerge --ask =dev-python/setuptools-7.0
- Ceph — a distributed object store and filesystem designed to provide excellent performance, reliability and scalability.
- iSCSI — an IP-based network standard and a Storage Area Network (SAN) protocol.
- https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/546799:weekend-project-get-started-with-tahoe-lafs-storage-grids - An article explaining what Tahoe-LAFS is and how it works.
- http://www.lowendguide.com/3/networking/how-to-set-up-your-own-distributed-redundant-and-encrypted-storage-grid-in-a-few-easy-steps-tahoe-lafs/ - An independently written Tahoe-LAFS setup guide.