For immediate publication:
Gentoo Linux is proud to announce the release of Gentoo Linux 2004.0 for the x86, AMD64, PowerPC, Sun SPARC, and SGI MIPS architectures. Additionally, the Gentoo Hardened team is announcing the inaugural release of a security-enhanced Gentoo platform for the x86 architecture.
In addition to many bug fixes and security updates since the 1.4 release, Gentoo Linux 2004.0 contains a cutting-edge development toolchain and user environment including, but not limited to, Linux kernel 2.6.3, GCC 3.3.2, GLIBC 2.3.2, KDE 3.2, GNOME 2.4.2, and xfce4.
We are pleased to announce the new Gentoo Store . Available at the Gentoo Store are Gentoo Linux LiveCDs that come complete with the on-CD Gentoo Installation Handbook, 2004.0 Release Notes  and optimized pre-compiled binary packages. Users who want to stay up-to-date for 2004 can purchase a subscription that offers the shipment of each quarterly 2004.x release sent straight to their door. Those wishing to donate to Gentoo Linux can now do so in an easy and secure manner utilizing the new donation system. The Gentoo Store accepts PayPal, Visa, Mastercard, and Discover for both orders and donations.
Gentoo Linux 2004.0 marks the debut of Catalyst, the new Gentoo release meta-tool. Using Catalyst, developers and users can create and customize every aspect of their Gentoo Linux system; from installation stages, to bootable LiveCDs, to customized binary packages for the Gentoo Reference Platform (GRP). For more information on Catalyst, please see the Catalyst project page and online documentation .
Installation stages, LiveCDs, and GRP sets can be found on our mirrors . More information about the Gentoo Hardened project can be found on its project page . For more information, please consult our documentation , mailing lists , user forums , and official IRC channels .
1. Gentoo Store <http://store.gentoo.org>
2. Gentoo Linux Release Engineering <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng>
3. Catalyst documentation <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst>
4. Gentoo Linux Mirror Index <http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml>
5. Gentoo Hardened project <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened>
6. Gentoo Linux documentation <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en>
7. Gentoo Linux Mailing Lists <http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml>
8. Gentoo Linux user forums <http://forums.gentoo.org>
9. Gentoo Linux official IRC channels <http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/irc.xml>
This page is based on a document formerly found on our main website gentoo.org.
The following people contributed to the original document: John Davis (Gentoo Release Operations Manager)
They are listed here because wiki history does not allow for any external attribution. If you edit the wiki article, please do not add yourself here; your contributions are recorded on each article's associated history page.