Metasploit has been removed from the Gentoo ebuild repository by this commit. However, it might be available from community (third party) ebuild repositories
The Metasploit Project is a computer security project that provides information about security vulnerabilities and aids in penetration testing and IDS signature development. The framework is maintained by Rapid7 and the community. Its best-known sub-project is the open source Metasploit Framework, a tool for developing and executing exploit code against a remote target machine. Other important sub-projects include the Opcode Database, shellcode archive and related research. The Metasploit Project is well known for its anti-forensic and evasion tools, some of which are built into the Metasploit Framework.
Rapid7 recommends using the binary installer for the desired version. The installer comes with a guide that aims to help during the installation process. If someone wants to develop and contribute, there's a guide to set up a development environment.
This guide makes the next assumptions:
- You have a Debian-based Linux environment
- You have a user that is not root. In this guide, we're using msfdev.
- You have a GitHub account
On maintainer's words: Metasploit is a very delicate package
emerge --ask net-analyzer/metasploit
Metasploit comes with its own CLI. For a detailed list of available commands refer to Offensive Security guide.
For a GUI, refer to Armitage project.
emerge --ask --depclean --verbose net-analyzer/metasploit
- Wireshark — a free and open-source packet analyzer.
- Nmap — an open source recon tool used to check for open ports, what is running on those ports, and metadata about the daemons servicing those ports.
- Downloads by version (official) - Metasploit's versions.
- Metasploit unleashed - Offensive security's Metasploit course.
- Rapid7 free tools - some free tools from Rapid7
- Community's documentation - some comunnity's documentation
- Armitage - Metasploit front-end UI