MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) is a protocol to allow the transfer of files to external devices. It is provided by several programs, most of them depending on FUSE.
Prepare for MTP implementations by activating CONFIG_FUSE_FS in the Linux kernel.
File systems ---> <*> FUSE (Filesystem in Userspace) support
Here are some MTP packages available in Gentoo:
|MTPfs||sys-fs/mtpfs||https://www.adebenham.com/mtpfs/||A FUSE-based filesystem providing access to MTP devices. More mature than some of the alternatives.|
|Go-mtpfs||sys-fs/go-mtpfs||https://github.com/hanwen/go-mtpfs||A simple FUSE-based filesystem written in Go language.|
|jmtpfs||sys-fs/jmtpfs||https://github.com/JasonFerrara/jmtpfs||A FUSE and media-libs/libmtp based filesystem for accessing MTP devices.|
|gphotofs||media-gfx/gphotofs||http://www.something.com||gphotofs is a FUSE-based file system for interfacing with digital cameras using the gphoto2 application.|
|simple-mtpfs||sys-fs/simple-mtpfs||https://github.com/phatina/simple-mtpfs||Like the others: a simple MTP FUSE filesystem driver written in C++.|
|Gnome||gnome-base/gvfs||https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/gvfs|| Install gnome-base/gvfs with the |
|Thunar||xfce-extra/thunar-volman||https://goodies.xfce.org/projects/thunar-plugins/thunar-volman||To have Thunar automount MTP devices (and other volumes), install the xfce-extra/thunar-volman package.|
KDE Plasma 5
kio-extras contains MTP support, but it requires the
mtp USE flag.
Enable the global
mtp use flag:
Alternatively, enable it in kio-extras:
emerge --ask kde-apps/kio-extras
After this, quitting plasmashell and restarting is probably sufficient to get it working.
If that does not work, please try restarting the system.
gMTP is a simple MTP client for Solaris and Linux.
It is sufficient to just install and run media-sound/gmtp:
emerge --ask media-sound/gmtp
Click on connect. A few second later, the file hierarchy on the device should appear. It is now possible to manipulate the files on the device. It support features like Album Artwork and playlists.
- Make sure the Android device is not going to sleep and the screen is not getting locked. Set screen timeout to very long values, or enable the "Do not turn off the screen" flag in the device's Settings - Development section.
- Some ROMs (e.g. PAC ROM) require the unlocking of the screen of the device before files will appear. If the screen is not unlocked the device will appear empty.
- Sometimes (specifically on HTC One X) USB debugging automatically activates when device is connected to a PC. USB debugging must be disabled. Otherwise media-libs/libmtp can't recognize the device.
- If the device is not recognized by media-libs/libmtp, try upgrading to latest (or even live) version.
- Lumia devices might require media-libs/libmtp version 1.1.9 and sys-fs/simple-mtpfs to be mounted properly.
- Lumia devices must be unlocked to be able to connect (enter the user's PIN).
- MTPfs — a FUSE-based filesystem providing access to MTP devices.