Google Summer of Code/2012/Ideas/OpenRC Extensions
OpenRC is the default init system in Gentoo, it provides a large deal of features while staying mostly agnostic to the underlying implementation on /sbin/init.
The project aims to be a constructive criticism to the systemd approach by providing the few interesting features not already implemented by OpenRC as stand alone modules allowing integrator not to need to bend their system layouts to accomodate the init system.
Desired extensions include:
- A mechanism by which init scripts can configure OpenRC to detect runtime failures, log them and respond to them. The key response we want to enable is to give regular init scripts respawn functionality like we have in /etc/inittab
- Oom-killer protection via /proc/*/oom_adj
- The ability to perform some sort of maintenance action on a timer (e.g. restart)
Daemons in Gentoo Prefix with OpenRC
This is a second OpenRC project that was retroactively added to the wiki in 2022, since it was mysteriously missing, but is clearly visible as 1 of the 9 main GSoC projects Daemons in Gentoo Prefix with OpenRC and the only one with any mailing list activity indicating work was done
- Port OpenRC to Gentoo Prefix to organize daemons.
- I am going to take the development of prefix support in OpenRC
- Deploy OpenRC to work with baselayout in Prefix and
- Extend Prefix with the long-waited feature of services daemons.
Mailing List Archives
gentoo-soc - soc proposal: Daemons in Gentoo Prefix with OpenRC heroxbd@×××××.com Wed, 04 Apr 2012 12:09:30
gentoo-soc - report 6.3-6.10: Daemons in Gentoo Prefix with OpenRC heroxbd@×××××.com Mon, 11 Jun 2012 06:10:32
gentoo-soc - report 7.16-7.23: improving OpenRC heroxbd@×××××.com Tue, 24 Jul 2012 09:06:29