Both the protocol and the format are deliberately limited in capabilities and scope, and the protocol is technically conservative, being built on mature, standardised, familiar, "off-the-shelf" technologies like URIs, MIME media types and TLS. Simplicity and finite scope are very intentional design decisions motivated by placing a high priority on user autonomy, user privacy, ease of implementation in diverse computing environments, and defensive non-extensibility.
Gemini is not intended to replace either Gopher or the web, but to co-exist peacefully alongside them as one more option which people can freely choose to use if it suits them.
Some of the software listed in this section is provided via the GURU repository:
eselect repository enable guru
emaint sync -r guru
- GNU Emacs - Practical and friendly Gopher and Gemini client for
- - A fancy terminal browser for the Gemini protocol
- - A graphical browser for plain-text protocols
- - Visual cross-platform gemini browser
- - Desktop GUI client for browsing Geminispace
- - Offline-First Gemini/Web/Gopher/RSS reader and browser
- - A Gemini browser for elementary OS
- - w3m-like browser for Gemini
If eix has been installed and configured to search remote repositories, available Gemini browsers can be listed by running:
eix -RC net-client
Konqueror can become a Gemini browser, and all applications that utilize KIO and KParts frameworks can support Gemini as well.
Enable the GURU repository, as described above, and install the relevant plugins:
emerge --ask kde-misc/geminipart kde-misc/kio-gemini
- Vim syntax highlighting for Gemtext. -
- - Translate Markdown to Gemtext.
- - Feed aggregator for Gemini supporting many formats and protocols.
- - Command line downloader for the Gemini protocol.
- md2gemini - Markdown-to-Gemtext converter written in Python.
- mdbook-gemini - Simple Perl script to convert mdBook to Gemtext using md2gemini.
Some starting points in Geminispace
- Usenet — a federated and decentralized worldwide Internet forum and the world's oldest digital social network