Future EAPI/EAPI 6 tentative features
From Gentoo Wiki
This is a working page that contains references to all features that have been suggested for EAPI 6.
- Bash 4.2
- nonfatal die
- Used in econf, but so far not available as separate PM function
- Allow empty DOCS variable
- Directory support for DOCS
- Doc install function (edocs? einstalldocs?)
- Query function for IUSE
- Alternatively, or in addition, query IUSE_EFFECTIVE?
- In global scope only, or everywhere?
- PATCHES support in default src_prepare
- Unpack .txz
- Case-fold extensions in unpack
- unpack() accept absolute paths
Some features rejected for EAPI 5
- User patches
- Current wording of the spec requires that every ebuild includes a call to the apply_user_patches function in src_prepare. An alternative would be to apply user patches after src_prepare as a default, if the ebuild doesn't call the respective function.
- The spec doesn't provide any kind of epatch function, so we will end up having two copies of epatch, one for user patches, and the other (from eclass) for ebuilds.
- Are we happy with the name apply_user_patches? (epatch_user? euserpatch?)
- HDEPEND: host dependencies for cross-compilation