Foundation:Gentoo Foundation Finances FY2011
From Gentoo Wiki
Financial statements of Gentoo Foundation Inc., FY2011
|As-of||2020/08/24 (rev be0e8169a8c6bbe6b90250a5bce2f96704ab6d40)|
- Income:Programs:GSOC: GSOC2010: 19 students ($9500), mentor travel reimbursement ($1501.25)
- The following statements have NOT been reviewed by a CPA
- The following statements represent a work-in-progress, with some known concerns:
- Data capture:
- In-Kind Donations has minimally started.
- Donor Restrictions has NOT been started, but is expected to have minimal impact (see further remarks).
- Incomplete historical capture due to lack of records
- NetBank records are considered lost and unrecoverable
- Depreciation: See seperate Concerns section under Further Remarks
- Data capture:
Statement of financial position
USD 73,655.45 Assets USD -6,780.76 Accumulated-Depreciation USD -411.11 Banners USD -151.48 Purchased_GDS7_200711 USD -259.63 Purchased_GDS7_200801 USD -6,369.65 Computers USD -637.63 Dev USD -40.01 Purchased_GDS5_200607 USD -79.14 Purchased_GDS5_200803 USD -64.86 Purchased_GDS5_200904 USD -162.35 Purchased_GDS5_200910 USD -14.20 Purchased_GDS5_201001 USD -246.07 Purchased_GDS5_201004 USD -17.50 Purchased_GDS5_201012 USD -13.50 Purchased_GDS5_201106 USD -5,732.02 Infra USD -4,001.96 Purchased_GDS5_200705 USD -29.61 Purchased_GDS5_200905 USD -1,700.45 Purchased_GDS5_201003 USD 65,664.04 Bank USD 47,891.38 CapOne:Saving8438 USD 17,772.66 CapOneMoneyMarket USD 9,896.89 Capital USD 586.88 Banners USD 216.24 Purchased_GDS7_200711 USD 370.64 Purchased_GDS7_200801 USD 9,310.01 Computers USD 1,368.74 Dev USD 44.25 Purchased_GDS5_200607 USD 96.94 Purchased_GDS5_200803 USD 93.46 Purchased_GDS5_200904 USD 266.15 Purchased_GDS5_200910 USD 25.82 Purchased_GDS5_201001 USD 502.18 Purchased_GDS5_201004 USD 69.99 Purchased_GDS5_201012 USD 269.95 Purchased_GDS5_201106 USD 7,941.27 Infra USD 4,425.97 Purchased_GDS5_200705 USD 45.00 Purchased_GDS5_200905 USD 3,470.30 Purchased_GDS5_201003 USD 4,875.28 Paypal -------------------- USD 73,655.45
USD 73,655.45 NetAssets:RetainedEarnings USD -17,649.78 Expenses USD 91,305.23 Income -------------------- USD 73,655.45
- See: [AC-NPO-2]
Statement of Activities
USD 16,581.52 Income USD 579.11 Commission USD 4,463.82 Donations:Cash USD 537.34 Interest USD 370.27 CapOne:Saving8438 USD 167.07 CapOneMoneyMarket USD 11,001.25 Programs:GSOC -------------------- USD 16,581.52
USD 4,528.92 Expenses USD 2,113.58 Depreciation USD 696.64 Events USD 217.45 Fees USD 10.00 Legal USD 207.45 Paypal USD 1,501.25 GSOC:Mentor-Travel-Reimbursement -------------------- USD 4,528.92
- See: [AC-NPO-2]
TODO: Statement of Functional Expenses
- See: [AC-NPO-4]
- TODO: reformat to columar style with TOTALS
USD 10.00 Expenses:Fees:Legal
USD 1,501.25 Expenses:GSOC:Mentor-Travel-Reimbursement
USD 696.64 Expenses:Events
USD 2,321.02 Expenses USD 2,113.58 Depreciation USD 207.45 Fees:Paypal -------------------- USD 2,321.02
TODO: Statement of Cash Flows
- Operating Activities
- Investing Activities
- Financing Activities
Verification of closed accounts for EOY
- This section covers any accounts that aren't closed, correctness review (e.g. missing entry in closing transactions)
TODO: Notes to the Financial Statements
- (TODO FASB 2016-14 requirements)
- FASB 1993-06 / SFAS 116: "Accounting for Contributions Received and Contributions Made"
- FASB 2018-08: "Clarifying the Scope and the Accounting Guidance for Contributions Received and Contributions Made"
- FASB ASC 958-605: "Not-for-Profit Entities - Revenue Recognition"
- This covers how contributions received must be accounted.
- The Gentoo Infrastructure team recieves contributions in multiple non-cash forms:
- Contribution of Assets
- e.g. Hardware donated outright to the Foundation, and held by the Foundation.
- Contribution of Utilities, covered by SFAS-116, example 9, paragraph 190 & 191
- e.g. Server rackspace (including electricity & network connectivity)
- Contribution of Use of Property, covered by SFAS-116, example 10, paragraph 192 & 193.
- e.g. Use of dedicated servers
- Contribution of Assets
- See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MACRS and [IRS-946] for more info.
Assets:Capitalaccounts are tagged with the MACRS information, and have a paired contra-asset account under
- What is it?
Computers:Infratells us it is a computer or parts thereof used by Infra. (
Computers:Devwould be used by a Developer)
- What is the MACRS system & property class life:
GDS5GDS, with a 5-year class life.
- When was it purchased?
- What is it?
- All assets use the mid-quarter convention to avoid splitting the calculation between property that may use half-year convention vs property that must use the mid-quarter convention.
- The purchasing year & quarter is derived from the purchase date in the account name.
- Risks & Outstanding Issues:
- There are no Section 179 elections in place for additional depreciation.
- It is possible that some assets are in the wrong IRS asset class, per [IRS-946] Appendix B where the manner in which property is used can change it's lifecycle.
- The exact location of non-US assets may impact the depreciation system. This is NOT considered at this time, as minimal assets are outside of the US.
Asset Classes in use
Account IRS-Asset-Class GDS-Class-Life Assets:Capital:Computers:* 00.12 5 Assets:Capital:Banners:* 00.11 7
- FASB 2016-14 MUST be applied for all fiscal years starting after 2017/12/15, but the standard permits earlier application.
- The treasurer has elected to apply the changes to ALL financial statements, as none of them have been formally audited at this time.
- Donor Restrictions
- The earlier boards did NOT include any formal means for donors to restrict cash donations.
- Some in-kind donations MAY have usage restrictions (e.g. bandwidth limitations, disclosure limitations), but are not expected to impact the financial statements at this time. This has not yet been confirmed with a CPA that specializes in NPO accounting.
- FASB 2016-14 changed the classes of Net Assets:
- Permanantly restricted Net Assets
- Temporarily restricted Net Assets
- Unrestricted Net Assets
- Net Assets with Donor Restrictions
- Net Assets without Donor Restrictions
- [FASB2016-14] UPDATE 2016-14—NOT-FOR-PROFIT ENTITIES (TOPIC 958): PRESENTATION OF FINANCIAL STATEMENTS OF NOT-FOR-PROFIT ENTITIES. http://fasb.org/cs/ContentServer?c=Document_C&cid=1176168381847&d=&pagename=FASB%2FDocument_C%2FDocumentPage
- [AC-NPO-1] Nonprofit Accounting Explaination (1): Introduction to Nonprofit Accounting. https://www.accountingcoach.com/nonprofit-accounting/explanation/1
- [AC-NPO-2] Nonprofit Accounting Explaination (2): Financial Statements of Nonprofits. https://www.accountingcoach.com/nonprofit-accounting/explanation/2
- [AC-NPO-4] Nonprofit Accounting Explaination (4): Statement of Functional Expenses. https://www.accountingcoach.com/nonprofit-accounting/explanation/4
- [IRS-946] How To Depreciate Property. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p946.pdf