dictd is a server implementing the DICT protocol, allowing clients to search dictionaries.
USE flags for app-text/dictd Dictionary Client/Server for the DICT protocol
||Enable dev-db/libdbi (database-independent abstraction layer) support|
||Build Judy-based (dev-libs/judy) plugin implementing fast "exact" and especially "lev" strategies|
||Don't build server but dict client, dictzip and dictfmt only.|
||Enable dependencies and/or preparations necessary to run tests (usually controlled by FEATURES=test but can be toggled independently)|
emerge --ask app-text/dictd
At least one dictd dictionary package must be installed before starting the server. dictd dictionary packages can be found in the app-dicts category with the prefix
dictd-. In particular, the WordNet dictionary is available as app-dicts/dictd-wn.
Other dictd dictionary packages are available on GURU. The app-dicts/dictd-meta package installs the following packages:
- app-dicts/dictd-devils - The Devil's Dictionary
- app-dicts/dictd-elements - Jay Kominek's database of the elements
- app-dicts/dictd-foldoc - The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing
- app-dicts/dictd-gazetteer - The original U.S. Gazetteer Place and Zipcode Files
- app-dicts/dictd-gcide - Collaborative International Dictionary of English (incl. Webster 1913)
- app-dicts/dictd-jargon - The Jargon File
- app-dicts/dictd-misc - Hitchcock's and Easton's Bible Dictionaries
- app-dicts/dictd-vera - Virtual Entity of Relevant Acronyms
- app-dicts/dictd-wn - WordNet
A thesaurus is also available on GURU: app-dicts/dictd-moby-thesaurus.
Add the service to the default runlevel:
rc-update add dictd default
Start the service:
rc-service dictd start
If additional dictionaries are added, be sure to restart the service:
rc-service dictd restart
The app-text/dictd package provides the dict client, but other clients include app-dicts/gnome-dictionary, xfce-extra/xfce4-dict, and
dictionary.el in app-editors/emacs 28 and later.