From Gentoo Wiki
A bootloader is a program that will load bootable items when the system is started.
Depending on the architecture of the machine, several bootloaders are available:
- EFI stub — Using the (U)EFI firmware to function as a bootloader.
- GRUB2 — Reworked version of GRUB. Gentoo's default bootloader on x86 and amd64.
- LILO — A simple boot loader with some advantages over GRUB and GRUB2.
- rEFInd — A boot manager for EFI and UEFI platforms
- syslinux — A collection of simple bootloaders for various purposes.
- systemd-boot — bootloader that is specific to UEFI firmware and the systemd init system.
- U-Boot — A boot loader popular with embedded devices
- Security Handbook/Bootloader security — tightening system security by hardening secondary bootloaders such as GRUB.
- Embedded Handbook/Bootloaders
- Comparison of boot loaders (Wikipedia)