World set (Portage)
From Gentoo Wiki
(Redirected from World (disambiguation))Jump to:navigation Jump to:search
Not to be confused with World file (Portage).
The world set, also referred to as @world, encompasses the system set, the selected set, and the @profile set.
Later, when a world update is requested (through emerge -uDN @world or similar command), Portage will use the world set as the base for its update calculations. A long command version of the command would be as follows:
emerge --update --deep --newuse @world
- System set (Portage) — contains the software packages required for a standard Gentoo Linux installation to run properly.
- Selected set (Portage) — contains the packages the admin has explicitly installed
- Selected-packages set (Portage) — contains the user-selected "world" packages that are listed in the /var/lib/portage/world file.
- /etc/portage/sets — an optional directory that is used to create user defined package sets
- Knowledge Base: Remove orphaned packages - The process of finding orphaned dependencies explained.