NVIDIA is a popular graphical chipset manufacturer. NVIDIA GPUs can use either open source (x11-drivers/xf86-video-nouveau) or proprietary (closed source) drivers (x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers). Because it is more up-to-date and efficient, the proprietary driver is often seen as a must-have for more computationally intensive 3D applications and games.
Available software and articles
- NVIDIA/nvidia-drivers — The x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers package contains the proprietary graphics driver for NVIDIA graphic cards.
- Nouveau — the open source driver for NVIDIA graphic cards.
- NVIDIA/Optimus — a proprietary technology that seamlessly switches between two GPUs.
- NVIDIA/Bumblebee — an open source implementation of NVIDIA Optimus.
- Nouveau & nvidia-drivers switching — describes how to switch between NVIDIA's binary driver and the open source nouveau driver.