There are currently three ways to get Netflix using Gentoo:
- 1. Using the Chromium web browser
- Uses the newer HTML5 approach in an open source software browser.
- 2. Using the Google Chrome web browser
- Uses the newer HTML5 approach, but at this time requires the use of this particular, binary-only browser.
- 3. Using Pipelight
- A little more difficult to setup than the two choices above. Uses the Silverlight status quo. The advantage to this approach is that Silverlight is slightly more robust and versatile; viewing Netflix is not limited to one browser.
See bug #547630.
echo -e 'www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins widevine\nwww-client/chromium widevine' >> /etc/portage/package.use
Next emerge the packages:
emerge www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins www-client/chromium
Start up Chromium and head to https://www.netflix.com, Netflix should work flawlessly!
Using Google Chrome
Emerge Google Chrome:
emerge -atv google-chrome
In Netflix settings navigate to: Your Account → Your Profile → Playback Settings, ensure that "Prefer HTML5 player instead of Silverlight" is checked (it should be by default; just verify).