Chrome is Google's proprietary (closed source) web browser. Much of the source code is released in parallel as Chromium, however there are binary blobs present in Chrome including a Pepper-based version PPAPI of Adobe Flash Player.
Currently there are several versions of Google Chrome available in the main Gentoo repository:
- www-client/google-chrome - A stable version of the web browser from Google.
- www-client/google-chrome-beta - A beta version of the web browser of Google.
- www-client/google-chrome-unstable - An unstable version of the
nightmareweb browser from Google.
Each of the packages listed above contains the following USE flags.
USE flags for www-client/google-chrome The web browser from Google
Select one of the Chrome packages to emerge above. Here the primary stable Chrome package will be installed:
emerge --ask www-client/google-chrome
Most configuration aspects can be found in the Chromium article. Head over there for configuration information.
- Chromium — the open source version of Google's Chrome web browser.
- Firefox — Mozilla's solution to the web browser.