Lenovo Y500 is very good laptop for installing gentoo:
- It has powerful CPU for fast compilations
- SSD to make all portage operations very quick.
- All hardware I used in it is supported very well.
Here is a guide how to make gentoo up and running on it
|Mainboard Chipset||Intel||U3E1 Chipset|
|Graphics Card||GeForce GT||GK107M (650M series)|
|Harddisk2||Seagate||ST1000LM024||momentus spinpoint 1TB|
|Display||LG||15.6" WLED Glossy 16:9 1080p (1920x1080)|
|Sound Card||Intel||7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller|
|Network (LAN)||Atheros||AR8161||Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)|
|Network (Wireless)||Intel||Wireless-N 2230||2.4GHz, 802.11a/b/g/n|
|USB 3.0 Host Controller|
|Jmicron Card Reader||N/A||N/A||SD/MMC/xD/MemoryStick(MS)/MS Duo/MS-HG|
Some Y500 specific workarounds
These are workarounds to setup hardware which does not work well out of the box
There is no driver available for the current kernel (mine current is 3.9.5) However it's avaiable in the 3.11 development branch. To install it for current kernels it's necessary to use backports:
- Download latest backports from here . I used this driver backports-3.10-2.tar.bz2
- Unpack somewhere
- run make menuconfig
- Uncheck all excepting the [*] Ethernet driver support --->
Go inside Ethernet driver support and check Atheros AR8161 driver:
Run following commands to make and install driver to your current kernel:
- make modules
- make install
- make modules_install
- Afer reboot you kernel should load alx driver automatically. If it's not happen try to run manually modprobe alx.
Nothing really special:
- Check kernel driver called USB Video Class (UVC)
- emerge media-libs/libv4l
Touch by default is very jumpy. To workaround it create file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-touchpad.conf and put following configuration inside it:
If the touchpad is too slow you can play with a speed parameters. Also you can add Option "AreaBottomEdge" "4200" to the settings. It will totally reduce jumpiness, however you will loose ability to do actions like click touchpad button and scroll or select without releasing it.